SINGAPORE: Singapore’s seven new COVID-19 cases were all imported infections, said the Ministry of Health (MOH) on Wednesday (Nov 25).
One of them is a Singapore permanent resident who returned from India. Four are work permit holders who travelled from India, the Philippines and Indonesia.
A student’s pass holder arrived from India, while the remaining case involved a short-term visit pass holder who travelled from Ukraine to board a ship docked here as a crew member.
All of the cases were placed on stay-home notice upon arrival in Singapore, said MOH. They were tested while serving their stay-home notice.
There were no new locally transmitted cases for 15 consecutive days.
Twelve more cases have been discharged from hospitals or community isolation facilities, bringing the total recoveries to 58,091.
There are 42 cases still in hospital. Most are stable or improving, with one patient in a critical condition in the intensive care unit. Another 29 are being isolated and cared for at community facilities.
TESTING TO BE OFFERED TO STALLHOLDERS IN AND AROUND TEKKA CENTRE
The ministry also announced that COVID-19 community surveillance testing will be extended to stallholders in and around Tekka Centre. Testing operations will take place on Thursday, near Little India MRT station.
It is part of efforts to conduct more extensive testing in the community “to facilitate early detection and to obtain a better picture of population prevalence”, said MOH.
Authorities said last month that the Government will offer a one-off COVID-19 test to more than 45,000 people working at 110 hawker centres and markets and more than 1,120 coffee shops, as well as food delivery personnel operating in the locality of these eating places. Testing will be progressively rolled out to different parts of Singapore.
MOH noted on Wednesday that surveillance testing has been conducted for taxi and private-hire car drivers, food delivery workers and cashiers.
Singapore has reported 58,190 cases of COVID-19 as of Wednesday.
NO ACTIVE CLUSTERS
Singapore’s last COVID-19 cluster in a migrant worker dormitory has closed, meaning there are no active clusters for the first time since the pandemic began.
On Tuesday, MOH announced the closure of the COVID-19 cluster at Cassia @ Penjuru dormitory, after 28 consecutive days with no new infection linked to it.
“With the closure of this cluster, there are no active COVID-19 clusters for the first time since Feb 3, 2020,” the ministry said.
Singapore’s first cluster was reported on Feb 4 at the Yong Thai Hang Medical Hall, a Chinese medicine shop that primarily served tourists from China.
Three days later, Singapore’s Disease Outbreak Response System Condition (DORSCON) level was raised from Yellow to Orange - where it remains - as more local cases emerged without links to previous cases or travel history to China.