Investor Soros pledges new donation to pro-EU group – Guardian

World

[ad_1]

(Reuters) – Billionaire financier George Soros will pledge an additional 100,000 pounds to Best for Britain, a campaign group seeking to keep Britain in the European Union, the Guardian reported on Sunday.

Soros, who donated 400,000 pounds to the campaign last week, is to make a new donation after attacks against him in the right-wing press, the Guardian said.

“I am happy to take the fight to those who have tried to use a smear campaign, not arguments, to prop up their failing case,” Soros told the newspaper. bit.ly/2BnLRH6

The investor’s Open Society Foundation (OSF) will match a crowdfunding campaign set up in the wake of attacks on Soros, which has already raised more than 50,000 pounds since last week, the Guardian said.

Best for Britain and the Open Society Foundation could not be immediately reached for comment on the report.

Soros, best known in Britain for earning billions betting against the pound in the early 1990s, is the target of a hostile media campaign by the nationalist government in his native Hungary and a hate figure for right-wing campaigners in eastern Europe and the United States.

The Daily Telegraph newspaper, which first reported Soros’s involvement with Best for Britain last week, said the 87-year-old former hedge fund manager was backing a “secret plot” to stop Brexit. The article was written by Nick Timothy, a former chief of staff to Prime Minister Theresa May.

May’s office repeated its long-standing position that the decision to leave the EU in 2019 after a vote in 2016 was final and would not be reversed. It had also defended the right of campaign groups to accept donations.

Reporting by Abinaya Vijayaraghavan in Bengaluru; Editing by Alistair Bell

[ad_2]

Source link

Loading...

Articles You May Like

12 hospitals deny entry to individuals who have been to Tan Tock Seng Hospital’s inpatient wards
Pre-school student with COVID-19 was last in school more than 2 weeks before positive test: ECDA
Hotel concierge on medical leave for symptoms related to COVID-19 left home to see friend, gets jail
15-year-old among 5 arrested under Hong Kong security law: Police
India sees record COVID-19 deaths, new cases in 24 hours

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *