Mudslide at Guinea rubbish dump kills at least eight

Environment

[ad_1]

CONAKRY (Reuters) – At least eight people died and others were injured in Guinea on Tuesday in a mudslide at a rubbish landfill site on the outskirts of the capital, Conakry, amid torrential rains, police and government officials said.

The disaster, which occurred in the Dar Es Salam neighborhood, follows major landslides in Sierra Leone and Democratic Republic of Congo that have left hundreds dead or missing since early last week.

“Currently rescue operations are under way,” the government said in a statement. “On this sad occasion, the government addresses its deepest condolences to the victims’ families.”

The government initially said five people were killed with around 10 others injured.

However a senior police source later said eight had died, and a second official said the government was preparing to raise its death toll after three additional bodies were recovered.

The threat of deadly landslides is growing in west and central Africa as rainfall, deforestation and urban populations rise, experts say.

Reporting by Saliou Samb; Writing by Joe Bavier; Editing by Alison Williams

[ad_2]

Source link

Loading...

Articles You May Like

China calls for global ‘green revolution’, pledges to achieve carbon neutrality before 2060
With the coronavirus still in our midst, what does the future hold for the workplace?
Taiwan’s President Tsai Ing-wen Among Time Magazine’s 100 Influential People
Thai parliament delays decision on constitution changes
Hong Kong Police Arrest Joshua Wong Over Mask Ban Protest

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *